The last few months of 2015 were extremely busy in my neck of the woods. Even the first few weeks of 2016 have been full! However, I’m back into writing mode and looking forward to a new year. Here are 5 nerdy goals I want to pursue this year.
- Read 50 books. I have been lax on my pleasure reading since I started grad school. Now that I’m approaching the final stages of my graduate program (2 more classes and a thesis to complete after this semester), I want to make a concentrated effort to read more. This goal will include books I’m reading for class and for fun. I would particularly like getting caught up on A Song of Ice and Fire because I’m tired of getting spoiled on them via some less than charitable people on my facebook timeline. If you’re on GoodReads, you can connect with me there to see what I’m reading.
- Write consistently. As some of you know, I pay the bills largely by helping others manage their social media. However, once I finish writing for others, I occasionally find it difficult to write for myself. I need to get over that. Writing for me is important. I plan to write on this blog a minimum of one post a week, but ideally three posts a week. I would also like to branch out and write guest posts at other sites as well. Do you have a site you’d like me to write for? If so, please drop me a note at the contact link. You also have permission to bug me about the lack of content here. I don’t mind encouragement!
- Retro gaming. Last year, I enjoyed finding and collecting some retro game titles and consoles. This year, I’d like to focus playing through and beating some of the games I purchased. This week, I utilized some Christmas money to fulfill 6 year-old Ashley’s dream of owning a NES. I’d like to pick up some more games for it and have a great time reminiscing.
- Fill in the gaps in my film/television “Nerd Knowledge.” I’ve been working diligently to fill in the gaps of my “Nerd Knowledge,” as I call it, since I finished undergrad. This past year, I finished a 6-year project to watch ALL of Star Trek. Now that that’s out of the way, I want to focus on finishing The X-Files, including the films (especially before the reboot this summer), Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Dollhouse. Joss Whedon is always worth watching, in my opinion. What are you watching?
- Make time for myself. I think this last goal will prove to be the most challenging for me. I am very extroverted and also have difficulty saying no to special events and outings. I’ve also learned that it can be difficult for me to find time to do the things I need to do to care for myself and my husband. Part of that means learning to say no. I want to have at least one night of the week dedicated to be my night at home for rest and decompression. What do you do to help build time in for self-care? What things do you do to help yourself relax?
What are your nerd goals for the year? Share them in the comments. I hope your New Year has started off with a bang!