It’s hard to believe we are already halfway through 2015! Where did the time go? I’ve been busy working, finishing class, traveling, and working on my 5 nerdy goals for the year. Here’s where I am so far in my goals.
- Podcasts. I’ve been listening to some new-to-me podcasts this year, notably The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast, Simon Mayo’s Confessions, and Throwback Reviews. I’ll probably be adding a few more to the list before year’s end.
- Tabletop Gaming. With the opening of a new game store near where we live, our game collection has exploded. We’ve picked up Shadows Over Camelot, Marvel Dice Masters, The Resistance, Star Wars: Imperial Assault, Lords of Waterdeep, all the expansions for Firefly: The Board Game, King of Tokyo, among others. We’ve also been hosting semi-regular game nights with some friends at least once a month. The past two months have been a bit full, but we’re hoping to start up another one soon.
- Reading. I still haven’t done much reading outside of my class work so far this year, but I’m taking the summer off from school to recharge my batteries. More reading is definitely on the menu. My favorite book from the past year is Ernest Cline’s Ready Player One, so look for a review at some point in the near future. Over the weekend, I also picked up several of John Scalzi’s books. I’m planning to tear into Red Shirts sometime soon.
- Conventions. I had a wonderful time at ConCarolinas this past weekend. I had the pleasure of meeting Michael Hogan (Col. Tigh on Battlestar Galactica) and John Scalzi, picking up some beautiful art and a pile of new books, and learning from other writers and authors. I’m definitely planning a return trip for next year!
- Retro Gaming. I’ve picked up a couple of new cartridges for my Sega Genesis, but haven’t really had much opportunity to play so far this year. I’m most interested to try out my new Gargoyles game, as this is probably my favorite animated series of all time.
How are you doing on your resolutions? It’s never too late to start nerding out!